Modifying Family Law Orders

When a family's needs change after divorce, custody and support orders have been finalized, it is possible to seek modification. It is best to have a lawyer assist you with post-decree enforcement of family law judgments or orders, including spousal support, child custody and child support.

Attorney Lynn A. Cohen represents people requesting or contesting family law modifications. She can help you resolve modifications in negotiations, mediation or at trial. With more than 30 years of experience, Ms. Cohen can accurately assess your case and recommend a strategy for resolution.

Changing An Order Post-Judgment

In Illinois, you may modify spousal support if there is a substantial change in circumstances of at least one party. This may include a financial setback, a job loss or a significant change in health.

For custody modifications, the best interests of the child is the standard. Parents request modifications for reasons such as a change in the child's needs, concerns over parental fitness or the remarriage of a parent. When a parent wishes to relocate outside the geographic limits in the custody agreement, he or she must request a modification as well.

To modify a child support order, there must be a substantial change in circumstances such as:

  • A job loss or other financial problems
  • A child's needs have changed
  • Health care expenses for the child have changed
  • One parent's income has increased

The party who seeks the modification of any court order must demonstrate the need for it. If you are seeking a modification, an attorney can help you gather evidence and present your argument to the other party or a judge.

Take Action Today

To arrange an appointment, please call us in Skokie at 847-674-3000. You may also contact the firm online.